Friday 2 April 2010

PKU

Carring on from my last post,

PKU (or Phenylketonuria) in a summary that you might understand...

is a rare gentic disorder meaning i cannot process protien otherwise i get brain damage,
The first 10 days of my life i was a normal healthy baby, being fed on breast milk,
untill we were told i had a rare disorder PKU.
because of this i have slight brain damage after 10 days which has affected my conctration levels, my grammer and my mental maths in many ways. Fortantly becuase of my parents (which I'm very lucky to have) I am not as worse as i could of been, there have been stories of people not finding out untill 15 years later, and they have serious brain damage and cannot walk properly, so i consider myself very lucky. Unfortantly, this has no cure.

However, because of the fact i cannot have alot of protien,
i must stay on a strict diet and have protien susbstatue drinks (which may i add are DISGUSTING)
the annoying thing is not only do i have this rare disorder, i also have the worse case of this disorder known as CLASSIC PKU meaning my diet has to be more strict then any other 'new' PKU people.
i am only aloud 7 grams of protien a day
to give you some example of this...

1 packet of hula hoops is one gram of protien.
3 jaffa cakes is one gram of protien
1 small bag of mini chedders is 3 grams of protien

However, there are a lot of new protien foods being made by NSPKU
such as pasta, crackers, bread, cake mix and the list goes on
most of which are very yummy :)

When i am ill, as you know i am like any other normal person.
Our bodies break down our own protien to try and make you better (hense when your very ill you become very thin)
For me, this is like feeding myself poison,
so i get very tired and very easily ill and must get fed glucose otherwise i could end up alot worse,
because of this i have a very poor attendance at my school, but to be honest, i would rather have one or two days off school then to try and work through it, which will proberly make me worse.

When (if) i get pregant i will have to go on an even stricter diet that means i have bearly anything to eat protien wise and be constaintly monitored, otherwise my baby could have serious brain damage

Apart from these things i am a very normal person trying to lead a normal life,
i hope i have taught you something about this rare disese :)

1 comment:

  1. if there is anything else you wish to know,
    please let me know :)

    ReplyDelete